For decades, refrigerators have served the critical purpose of keeping perishable food cold. Many of today’s modern appliances feature smart technology to make life even easier! Explore how a wide array of smart refrigerator features can take your kitchen to the next level.
Smart Refrigerator Features
Smart refrigerators have a large touchscreen interface and connect to the internet via Wi-Fi. Other features include internal cameras, flexible user-controlled settings, and the ability to interact with your fridge from your smartphone or tablet. Some smart refrigerators can even communicate with other smart devices in your home, such as speakers, TVs, dishwashers, and microwaves.
While the precise features available vary by brand and model, here are the types of things you can do with a smart refrigerator’s touchscreen:
- Search for recipes and ask your fridge to read the steps while you cook.
- Create grocery lists that sync with your smartphone in real-time.
- Enter expiration dates and set notifications for when food is about to expire.
- Upload photos to display on the touchscreen.
- Create individual profiles for family members. Use these to coordinate schedules, make to-do lists, or send personal notes to each others’ smartphones.
- Utilize the whiteboard option to leave messages for the family.
- Turn on the transparent touchscreen feature to look inside the fridge without opening the door.
- Cast from the smart TV in the living room to the touchscreen display on the fridge to enjoy your favorite show while you cook.
Smart refrigerator features go beyond just the touchscreen. Here are some other impressive capabilities:
- View a live feed from the interior camera while you’re grocery shopping to see if you need milk, eggs, or other essentials.
- Customize temperatures in different drawers or compartments.
- Turn the ice maker on or off from your smartphone.
- Set up alerts for when the water filter needs to be replaced.
- Select the heated water setting, and your smart fridge will notify you when it’s ready. Some models even come with a built-in single-cup coffee maker!
- Bump the door handle gently (or make a foot gesture, depending on the fridge model) to trigger the door to open hands-free.
- Engage the setting that allows the refrigerator to pull its door shut to prevent energy waste and food spoilage.
Smart Refrigerator Concerns
The advanced features and connectivity of smart refrigerators are convenient, but not all consumers are sold. Here are some concerns that might have crossed your mind:
- Purchase cost: While the first smart refrigerators were quite expensive, the price has come down. Now, you can get your hands on one for as little as a few hundred dollars more than a comparable non-smart model.
- Hacking: All smart home technology connects to your Wi-Fi, creating the possibility for hackers to break in. However, if you confidently use smartphones, computers, and streaming devices on your Wi-Fi, adding a smart refrigerator shouldn’t be a cause for concern.
- Becoming outdated: Like ordinary fridges, smart refrigerators are meant to last for about 15 years. During that time, the manufacturer can update software and features over a Wi-Fi connection, keeping your fridge up-to-date without any extra investments.
- Repair costs: If a refrigeration component wears out, the repair should cost the same as fixing a standard fridge. You will only incur extra repair costs if a smart feature breaks.
Schedule Refrigerator Repair
No matter what type of fridge you own, calling All Austin Repairs for refrigerator maintenance and repair is always a smart choice. We’ll keep this kitchen appliance up and running so you can count on it to keep your food cold—and so much more! Contact us to arrange the services you need today.